Friday, May 17, 2013

350Z vs. Litterbug Bus

Today’s car is this Nissan 350Z that I let in line in front of me on my way to the grocery store today.  The 350Z is a rear wheel drive sports car that was sold for a span of 6 years starting in 2003, at which point it was updated and renamed the 370Z.  Nissan has a history of offering “Z” type sports cars dating back to 1969 when the original Z car was sold in Japan under the name of the Nissan Fairlady Z.  This same car was exported as a Datsun 240Z.  As time passed and the cars were remodeled and improved, the name changed to 260Z, to 280Z, to 300Z.  That’s where the pattern of upping the number by 20 changes and it jumps to 350Z, which is what we have here.  The car is now on its 6th generation as the 370Z. 


The 350Z originally came with a 3.5L V6 that produced 287 HP and 274 lb ft of torque.  Those figures changed as the model years wore on, topping out at 306 HP and 268 lb ft of torque in the last year of manufacturing before the 370Z came along.  The 3.5 might give you some idea of why they opted to change their numbering system and jump to 350 in front of that Z.  Likewise, the 370Z has a 3.7L V6.. Convenient, eh?

There’s a different reason why I chose to feature this car today, though, and it has little to do with the car itself.  After this Nissan got in front of me, we both got stuck at a stoplight behind some cars and the big, yellow bus you can see in the photo.  While waiting for the light to change, one of the little high school kids on the bus chucked a plastic drink cup out the window onto the ground.  Next thing I knew, a middle aged guy wearing a Minnesota Twins jersey hops out of the Nissan, strides over and snatches up the cup, then storms up to the bus and throws the cup back in the window at the little asshole who threw it out in the first place.  Of course, the little jerk threw the cup right back out at him, but by then the light had changed and the guy was on his way back to his car.  I applauded him from my vehicle. 

Shortly after that, I turned off to go to the store, but last I saw, the guy in the Nissan was following behind the bus.  I’d be willing to bet that he gets out and talks to the driver next time that bus stops.  It’s a shame that the kid who threw the cup out the window seems to think its funny to trash stuff, but I’m sure peer pressure played a role.  Kids seem to do progressively dumber things depending on just how large their group is.  Take a whole bus load of them, and the collective IQ probably plummets to dangerously stupid levels. 

So that’s why I chose this car.  Don’t get me wrong, Nissan Z cars are neat automobiles, and I’ll probably explore them more in depth some other time.  For today, this car gets a starring role in my post thanks to the guy behind its wheel and his willingness to get out of his car when it‘s raining to toss trash back at some litterbugs.  Hats off to you, Nissan guy!   

No comments:

Post a Comment