Friday, September 27, 2013

Ford's F-150 turbo truck VS Chevy's Silverado

For today’s post, we’re going back to the Ecoboost Challenge to make a bit more progress.  When we left off, I had finished the Fusion/Camry comparison.  I got in the queue for the truck comparison, skipping the compact crossovers all together because I had actually driven and compared the Honda CR-V and the Ford Escape that they had at the Ecoboost Challenge (as well as the Kia Sportage and the Buick Encore) as part of the Jean Knows Cars G7 group back in June of this year.  FYI, my ranking of these vehicles went like this: #1 Kia Sportage (though the interior plastics were kind of cheap, this thing was a blast to drive and looked great), #2 the Ford Escape (technically a superior vehicle to the Sportage, but not quite as powerful, nor as fun to drive, though definitely a better interior and more impressive overall -I just wasn’t feeling it the way I felt the Kia that day), #3 the Honda CR-V (a sturdy multi-tasker that’s good at everything it does, but not particularly phenomenal or thrilling in any aspect -a cut and dried case of a point-A to point-B appliance type of vehicle that gets its job done efficiently and well, but leaves drivers feeling under-whelmed.), and last, and certainly least in my estimation, #4 the Buick Encore (a gutless slug of a vehicle lacking in power and overdressed to compensate for its short comings, which were many -including miserable interior configurations, poor room, seats that looked more comfy than they were, and the overall feeling like I needed an AARP membership to qualify for driving the damn-slow thing).  

While waiting in line, I noticed two guys in front of me wearing identical shirts that were kind of beige with a pattern of old cars printed all over them.  It was kind of a dorky look, but I was intrigued and wanted to find out why grown men would go out in public like that, so I struck up a conversation.  I've included a picture of the back of the younger of the two men so you can get an idea about the shirt.


Turns out, these two guys are father and son.  The father was probably in his 60’s, and the son was in his 30’s.  As for their choice of couture, they each  claimed that one had no idea that the other was going to wear the car shirt that they both ended up spiffed-out in that day because they live in separate houses miles apart.  Okay, fine, though the father/son identical shirt owning aspect is still there even if they didn't plan to look like twins that day.  So, they were a little dorky, but who isn't?  They were really earnest and nice guys, and to add to the dork factor, they told me that they were model train hobbyists in addition to car enthusiasts.  That point is of interest because as I chatted with the father, we ended up on the topic of vintage British cars, and he had what, to me, sounded like a very good idea.  My MG (and pretty much any older British car with Lucas electrical systems) is notorious for finicky problems with wiring and shorts.  The older gentleman train hobbyist/elder wearer of the ugly car shirt said that in his train hobby, he uses a highly conductive model train rail oil to keep things running smoothly, and supposed that same material would work well to use with an older electrical system like the one I have in my MG.  Hmmmm, I thought, I shall have to try that next time I’m tinkering with my temperamental little British friend.   So, that was perhaps the best bit of info that I got out of those two aside from friendly idle chit chat.

Eventually I was up to go around the course in the trucks.  First was the Chevy Silverado, which, if I’m correct, was a LTZ trim level truck (I was not allowed time to poke around at the trucks; it was “get in and go“ time).  It was nicely appointed with leather interior, navigation, and 4x4.  Under the hood sits a 5.3L EcoTec V8 engine with 355 HP and 383 lb-ft of torque.  Its estimated MPG rating hits at 16/22 city/highway.  This engine is being used because it’s the closest in performance and fuel economy to the V6 that’s in the Ford.   I went to the Chevy web site to try my hand at building an identical truck, and I ended up with an MSRP of $45,105.


I've driven plenty of trucks in my time, because when I was in the car business, trucks were what I sold in the highest volume.  They also tend to be the vehicles that buyers will spend the most money on adding aftermarket goodies to.  One interesting thing I noticed was that my male truck buyers were way more concerned with accessorizing their vehicles than my female truck buyers, though I had substantially more male buyers than female.  Male truck buyers also showed themselves to spend more time and worry fretting about the appearance of their trucks.  One guy I dealt with was trading in his old F-150 for a newer one, but was so uptight about its appearance that he didn't even like people to touch his truck, even with just the tip of their finger.  He was all anxious and uneasy that there might be a couple dust or dirt particles on the surface of the paint, and by touching the truck, the pressure between one’s fingertips and those particles would essentially create a very micro-grit sand paper that would harm the luster of his clear coat.  The thing is, this guy’s F-150 was so pristine, I doubt there was a speck of dirt or dust anywhere in or on that rig.  I like to take care of my car, too, but I’m not so crazy about it that I forbid any human contact with the vehicle.


Back to the Silverado, though.  It was a nice truck, but seemed ungainly.  It felt heavy, lumbering, and barge-like.  I took it out on the course, finding that it tended to toss its weight around with a considerable lack of grace or agility, which is, I suppose, about what one might expect from a truck.  Acceleration was so-so, and cornering felt like a chore.  Looks wise, the Chevy appears larger than the F-150, though they’re roughly the same size.  So, I had that as my standard, and next up would be the Ford F-150.

*the F-150 being driven by the two guys who wore the same shirt.

The F-150 had that same, gorgeous, shimmering black paint that I liked so well on the Fusion I wrote of previously.  To my sense of aesthetics, the F-150 was a better looking truck.  This one appeared to feature the Lariat trim package, and a visit to Ford’s web site to build an identical F-150 with leather, navigation, 4x4, and the chrome appearance package that this F-150 was wearing (a $1,495 premium over the normal cost of the truck), ended up with a final MSRP of $47,245.  So, the F-150 is clocking in at $2,140 more than the Silverado.  Subtract that chrome package, though, and we’re down to a $645 difference between the F-150 and the Silverado.  The F-150 has a 3.5L Ecoboost (twin-turbo) engine that generates 365 HP and 420 lb-ft of torque while getting 16/22 mpg city/hwy.  So, same gas mileage as Chevy’s V8, but with 10 more horsepower and 37 more lb-ft of torque.  Is that enough to make up for the roughly $700 premium over the cost of the Silverado if we’re not including Ford’s chrome appearance package in the comparison?

I’d say so.  In fact, let’s keep that chrome package in our cost estimate, because all the stuff the F-150 has going for it still justifies the additional cost and then some.  This was one comparison where it wasn’t anywhere near being a close race.  The F-150’s interior was gorgeous compared to the Silverado’s.  How to best put this to drive the point home….  The finishes, materials, surfaces, layout, ergonomics, and tactile aspects of the F-150’s interior space so outshone the Silverado’s that it was like the difference between walking into a quickly constructed McMansion (the Silverado interior) and walking into a bonafide and beautifully yet functionally adorned Arts and Crafts Style home with its original woodwork in tact (the F-150 interior).  The McMansion pales in comparison and its beauty comes off as plastic and artificial.

 *the Chevy Silverado's interior


 * The Ford F-150's interior

*the Ford F-150's interior, again.

We can call the exterior appearance a toss-up because that’s very subjective, though I favor the F-150’s looks.  Here are some more pictures of an F-150 that was sitting out for display.



The handling of the F-150 felt so much more nimble and quick compared to the Silverado, and the acceleration and power was immediate and forceful.  Hands down, the F-150 beat the pants off the Silverado in each and every way.  I've sold plenty of trucks, but never considered myself a truck person.  Driving that F-150 though, I suddenly had a desire to have one.  I have no definite need for a pickup truck, but I’m sure I could find plenty of stuff to use it for.  In short, the F-150 outpaces the Silverado by so far, the comparison didn't even seem close to fair in spite of the similar power specs.    

    *here's an F-150 that's been upfitted with a bunch of Sony audio equipment and has a little trailer with some Sony Televisions installed as well as more stereo equipment.

No comments:

Post a Comment